Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

The Life and Times of Max and Gizmo


It's all about communication and support.  No, I'm not talking about relationships....

There is so much going on in these larger pieces that the viewer does not see.


 To facilitate drying and make sure air can flow out of the piece easily as it (the air, that is) expands during firing, I poke, drill or otherwise create holes between the compartments that make up the sculpture.  Also, coils (snakelike pieces) of clay are attached in places that will support extra weight, like the back of the neck.  You can see that in the above image.   Soon I will extend the coil up out of the neck to join the head, which is created separately.  I will also add a coil inside the top of the chest and extend that into the front of the neck.  Talk about an inside job!  (sorry, I couldn't resist.)




I come in peace....and my little dog, too.




Is there a draft in the studio??? 
[Do I need to get a life?  As you can see, it's dark outside--I've been putting in some long days.]



 Hear no evil, smell no evil.  (Keeping thinner areas, and places where I need to add clay, moist.) Wow, those chopsticks smart!


Kevin came in to the studio with a shirt and vest to model.  It was late, we were tired and my first try was close but not quite it.  So first thing I did this morning was remove most of what I'd worked on. 

After much tweaking and shifting around of clay, I was happy.  Turns out, the man's chin peeks between the dog's ears an his collar covers almost all of his neck.

Doh!  There were some great details in there that no one but me will have seen.  Kevin said, "Have you considered just doing a person?"  Definitely, and life would be sooo much simpler!  But this is an unusual topic and one that is close to my heart.  Angst, I can always count on you to be close by!

Anyway, it's hard to stop fussing with a piece.  I finally had to say, out loud, "Put down the clay tool and step away from the art."




Max and Gizmo, hanging out with "The Girls."  All are in different stages of development.




No doubt I will continue to tweak the piece as it dries and notice things I didn't see when actively working on it.


In the meantime, it was actually fun to clean up the studio and go outside to play with the dogs, who have been feeling very neglected.


No comments:

Post a Comment